Eng  繁體  简体 

employment photo
Employment Status

If you are a British citizen or a national from the European Economic Area (EEA) you do not need permission to work in the United Kingdom (UK). Nationals of the New Member states of the European Union (Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic) who are employed need to register with the Home Office’s Worker Registration Scheme.

If you are from outside the EEA and you want to work in the UK, you should check that your status allows you to do so before taking up employment.

Not everyone who comes to the UK is allowed to work. You can check if you are allowed to work by looking at the stamp in your passport.

Worker Registration Scheme

Registration with this scheme is necessary if you come from one of the New EU member states:
  • You must apply to register within a month of starting employment in the UK.
  • In order to register you must complete a form, there is a fee for this.
  • Within your first year of being in the UK you need to re-register if you change your job, or take a second job.
  • Once you have been working legally in the UK for 12 months, without a break, you will have full rights of free movement and will no longer need to register on the Worker Registration Scheme.
  • You can then get a residence permit confirming your right to live and work in the UK.
Accession Worker Card
  • Nationals of Romania and Bulgaria require an Accession Worker Card. They are generally for skilled workers who meet the criteria for issue of a work permit.
  • Work authorisation will also be given to workers coming through the lower skilled Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme.
  • The Accession Worker Card will be issued for a specific job; if you wish to change jobs you will need to obtain a new Accession Worker card.
More information about working in the UK can be found at Another useful website for Polish workers is
Paid Employment

Finding a Job

Employment opportunities can be found through many sources:
    • Local newspapers
    • Private employment agencies
    • By word of mouth
    • Websites
    • Liverpool City Council’s JET (Jobs, Education and Training) Service
    • Department for Work and Pensions’ Jobcentre Plus
Jobcentre Plus
Jobcentre Plus helps people into paid work, helps employers fill their vacancies, and gives people of working age the help and support they are entitled to if they cannot work. Jobcentre Plus can help you find the right kind of jobs: full-time or part-time, temporary or permanent.
If you are claiming benefits and looking for work you will meet a personal adviser on your first visit to a Jobcentre Plus office or Jobcentre. They will help you find the kind of job that is right for you whether you are looking for your first job or want to get back to work. They can help you arrange any training you need for the job you want.
Your personal adviser will also help you work out if you will be better off in work. They will look at your personal circumstances and how much benefit you may get and any extra support Jobcentre Plus might give while you are in work. Jobcentre Plus website

The Jobs, Education and Training (JET) Service offers a range of services to residents and businesses in Liverpool. If you are unemployed, or seeking better employment prospects, the JET Service can provide:-
    • Advice and guidance through a Personal Advisor/mentor service to help local residents choose a career which       suits their skills, abilities and interests;
    • Training programmes that help improve skills levels and employability;
    • Help with job search, including writing CV's, completing application forms, preparing for interviews;
    • Support and training tailored to meet the needs of black and minority communities.

Careers Advice
Careers Advice is a government run organisation which gives free, impartial information and advice on courses, training, apprenticeships, careers, returning to work, and childcare. They can even advise you on paying for your learning. Please see careers advice website

Liverpool Adult Learning Service Ethnic Minority Employability Project
This Project offers advice and guidance on education and employment to ethnic minority people in the Liverpool Area.

Income Tax

Arrival in the UK

When you come to the UK you may be looking for work or have a job waiting for you. Once you have arrived you must fill in a form ‘Arrival in the United Kingdom (P86)’. You get this by:
    • Telephoning 0845 900 0404from 8.00am to 8.00pm daily – English language service only.
    • Going online at
You should send the completed form to the HM Revenue & Customs office that deals with your tax. Your employer should be able to tell you where it is.

Working for an employer
If you are in employment, Income Tax will be deducted directly from your wages. This is called Pay as You Earn (PAYE). You will be treated as a UK resident for tax purposes if:
    • You are in the UK for 183 days or more in the tax year, or
    • You visit the UK regularly and your visits average 91 days or more a tax year over a period not exceeding 4       years, or
    • You come to the UK for a purpose that will mean you are in the UK for at least two years.
The tax year runs from April 6 to April 5. When you start work your employer will give you a form ‘PAYE – notice of new employee (P46)’ to complete. All EU countries have arrangements so that you are not taxed twice on the same income.
Rates of deductions can be found on the HM Revenue and Customs website:

Paying tax
You can earn a certain amount of income in a tax year without paying income tax. This is your tax allowance.
    • You will be notified of your personal allowance by HM Revenue and Customs. If your income does not exceed       the amount of your allowance, you will not pay any income tax.
    • There are many different allowances for different people, but everyone receives a personal allowance. This
   allowance varies from person to person.

Working for yourself
If you are self-employed, you need to register with the HM Revenue and Customs. Tax returns are completed using a self-assessment system whereby you provide all the necessary information to calculate your earnings etc. The HM Revenue and Customs will then check this information and tell you how much tax you owe. You can register with HM Revenue & Customs if you start a business working for yourself by:
    • Telephoning 0845 915 4515 from 8.00 to 18.00 Monday to Friday – English language service only.
    • Completing the form ‘Becoming self- employed and registering for National Insurance contributions and/or tax       (CWF1). You can download the form at or collect it from any HM Revenue       & Customs Enquiry Centre.

Tax Credits
    • Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit are benefits which are paid by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
    • Working Tax Credit is a payment to top up earnings of people working on low incomes, including those that do       not have children.
    • Extra amounts are payable if you have a disability, if you work 30 hours or more a week, and where you have       childcare costs.
    • Child Tax Credit is available to people responsible for a child or young person, who have income below a       certain amount.
    • All households with an annual income of £50,000 or less will qualify for some Child Tax Credit.
    • The amount you get will depend on how many children you have, and whether they have any disabilities.
    • Child Tax Credit is available whether or not you are in work.
Find out more about Tax Credits at

National Insurance
Anyone who is aged between 16 and state pension age – currently 60 for a woman and 65 for a man - may have a liability to pay National Insurance contributions. You may be liable to pay National Insurance contributions if you:
    • Work for an employer (an employed earner), and pay Class 1 National Insurance Contributions
    • Work for yourself (self-employed), and pay Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance contributions.
The amount of contributions you have to pay will depend on whether you are an employed earner or self-employed; and the amount you earn. If you are in employment, your employer will deduct your National Insurance contributions from your pay.


Chinatown location : Nelson Street, Liverpool L1 5DN & its surrounding area

© Wings Studio 2008-21