Eng  繁體  简体 


School Education

    • Parents/guardians should be aware that in law they have the prime responsibility for ensuring the regular        attendance of their children at school.
    • All children mustattend school from age 4-16.
    • Schools must be informed of a child’s absence from school on the day it happens.
    • Parents/guardians of children who are regularly absent from school can be subject to legal action.
    • In order for your child to be accepted into a school you must firstly register your child. Liverpool City        Council will tell you which school your child can attend and give you guidance on what to do next.

If you have any difficulties, please contact Liverpool City Council Children’s Services on 0151 225 6030 or EMTAS (Ethnic Minority & Traveller Achievement Service) on 0151 233 3901. Further information about school admissions is also available on the Council’s website at:

Children attend:
    • Pre-school from age 3 to 4
    • Primary School from age 4 to 11
    • Secondary School from 11 to 16.

If your child needs help with learning English this is called an 'additional support need' and support will be provided.

School types

Mainstream state Schools
All children in England between the ages of five and 16 are entitled to a free place at a state school. Nine out of 10 children in England go to state schools.
In most areas children start primary school at the age of four or five, moving onto secondary school (sometimes called comprehensive school) at the age of 11. Most state schools are mixed but some are single-sex.
Schools define themselves in various ways. The four main types of mainstream schools are all funded by local authorities. They all follow the National Curriculum and are regularly inspected by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted).

Independent schools
There are about 2,300 independent schools in England. These schools can set their own curriculum and admission criteria. They are funded by fees paid by parents and income from investment. Just over half of all independent schools have charitable status.
Every independent school must be registered with the Department for Education and Skills to operate. Standards are regularly monitored by either Ofsted or the Independent Schools Inspectorate, ensuring that the school meets and maintains the standards set out in the registration.

Other types of schools

• Community special schools • Faith schools • Grammar schools
• City technology colleges • Academies • Maintained boarding schools
• Foundation schools • Voluntary-aided schools • Extended & specialist schools

To find a school for your child near you, go to website at:

Children with disabilities or Special Educational Needs (SEN)
Liverpool City Council’s Children’s Services
Offer help and advice to parents/guardians of children who have a disability and/or a Special Educational Need (SEN). These services include:
Parent Partnership
 – Gives parents/guardians the information, confidence and support needed to make informed decisions about their child's education.
They have a lot of information available for parents, some of which is translated into other community languages. If you would like further information on what they can provide please contact them on 0151 233 2848 or email: . Also see website

Neighbourhood Early Years Service for Children under 5
NEYS is a community based service that supports children 3-5 years with special educational needs and/or disabilities, and their families. For further information, please contact them on 0151 233 1116, or email: Also see website

Post School Education

Once children are over the age of 16, they may choose to go to college or university. There are numerous colleges and universities in the UK offering many different courses. Local universities include:

    • The University of Liverpool
    • Liverpool John Moores University
    • Hope University
    • Edge Hill University
    • Liverpool Institute for the Performing Arts

For full details:

Find other UK universities or colleges :

Further Education & Training
There are many opportunities for adults to access training and education in Liverpool. Advice on choices available can be found from Learn Direct ( This is a national database which will help you to find training and put you in touch with the education and training providers.

Careers Advice

Careers Advice is a government run organisation which gives free, impartial information and advice on courses, training, apprenticeships, careers, returning to work, and childcare. They can even advise you on paying for your learning. Please see careers advice website

Listed below are some of the local education and training providers in Liverpool:

Liverpool Community College
They have several sites across the City and offer courses at the Lifebank, Asylum Link and the Library. Tel: 0151 252 1515 Website:

Adult Learning Service
They offer courses at community venues across Liverpool and provide courses at Kensington Community Learning Centre. Tel: 0151 233 2400. Also see

Eastern Link JET
They offer courses designed to give residents the skills and qualifications to gain employment. Tel: 0151 233 6175 Website:

Kensington Community Learning Centre
Kensington residents can access free IT and Skills for Life courses. 291 - 299 Kensington Liverpool L7 2RG Telephone: 0151 260 1006

Kensington Fields Community Association
24 Hall Lane Kensington L7 8TO Telephone: 0151 708 9107

Life Bank
Quorn Street Liverpool, L7 2QR Telephone: 0151 300 8420

Knowsley Community College
Rupert Road Roby, L36 9QD Tel: 0845 155 1055 Website:

Hugh Baird Community College
Balliol Road Bootle, L20 7EW Tel: 0151 353 4444 Website:

Wirral Metropolitan College
Conway Park Campus Europa Boulevard Conway Park, Birkenhead CH41 4NT Tel: 0151 551 7144 Website:

English/ESOL Classes

There are a number of places where you can access English classes - English classes are often referred to as ESOL(English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes. Please see website
The following organisations offer ESOL classes at various venues. If you need any more information, please contact the organisations directly.

• Liverpool Community College 0151 252 4590, 0151 252 1515, 0151 709 8258
• Lifebank 0151 300 8420
• Asylum Link Merseyside 0151 709 1713
• Al Ghazali Centre 0151 734 3843
• Adult Learning Services 0151 233 2400
• Kensington Community Learning Centre 0151 260 1006
• Granby Adult Learning Centre 0151 233 2400
• Park Road Adult Learning Centre 0151 233 2430
• Newsham Adult Learning Centre 0151 263 5153
• Toxteth Library 0151 709 7489
• Kensington Fields Community Centre 0151 708 9107
• City Church 0151 280 6466

Wah Sing Chinese School

Wah Sing Chinese School provides English, Cantonese and Mandarin lessons. Some of the courses are complied to the National Curriculum.


Chinatown location : Nelson Street, Liverpool L1 5DN & its surrounding area

© Wings Studio 2008-21